How to Make Kolaches
- 1. Mix milk, yeast and sugar. Add margarine and egg yolk. Gradually add flour until bread dough consistency. You may need more flour at this time to make it come together.
- 2. Let rise until double in bulk. Divide and roll in to small 1 inch balls and let rise again. Place in 9 x 13 pan or jelly roll pan for the second rise.
- 3. Use fingers to make indentation in the middle and fill with fruit.
- 4. Sprinkle with pasifka (mixture of equal amounts of sugar and flour with enough melted margarine to make crumbly.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with sugar while still hot.
Dough can also be used for pecan rolls.
Enough for 4 dozen fruit kolaches.
- for meat kolaches:
use sausage links or ham and cheese or whatever meat you like for breakfast. roll out dough and roll the meat inside. let rise and bake. I add cheese as well to mine. Many people put scrambled eggs and other things inside them as well
- Kolache fruit.
For appples, peaches and apricots, cover with water and cook until plump. Sugar to taste.
Cherries - used canned tart pie cherries. Cook with sugar, small amount of flour and teaspoon of almond flavoring till thickened