1 lbground chuck
1 lbhot sausage
2 1/2 cpinhead oats
1large onion, diced
6bay leaves, dried
6 to 8 clovegarlic, grated
3 tspsea salt
1 1/2 tspfresh ground black pepper
2 tsprubbed sage
How to Make Goetta
- Put water into large pan (I use a roasting pan) bring to fast roiling boil. Add salt, pepper and oats.
- Lower heat to low. Cook for 2 hours, stirring often, keeping lid on the pan.
- Mix the ground chuck, hot sausage, onion, garlic, sage and bay leaves. Add to the oats and mix very well. Let cook an additional hour stirring often.
- After it has cooked and thickened slightly, pour into loaf pans and cool. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool completely. Will keep for several days.
- When you are ready to cook some, slice into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices depending on how thick you like it. Fry it up in a cast iron skillet with bacon grease until well browned.