By Just A Pinch KitchenCrew
How to Make Crusty Scrapple
- 1Peel and dice one onion.
- 2Simmer pork ribs with salt, bay leaf, thyme, cloves and onion in the water until the meat falls off the bones.
- 3Remove the bones and gristle, rub the meat into fibers (with your fingers), and reduce this pork liquor to about 4 cups by further boiling.
- 4Cool 1 cup of the pork liver and mix it with coarse corn meal and cayenne.
- 5Add the sage, rubbing it between your fingers to crush it as you put it in.
- 6In your food processor, using the steel blade, grind pork liver, the other onion, and the garlic cloves.
- 7Fry the resulting slurry in butter.
- 8Add the cornmeal mixture and the pork-liver mixture to the pork liquor and simmer the whole thing over a very low flame (or in the top of a double boiler) for half an hour.
- 9Spread thin into two 9-inch square pans to cool. (The pans needn't be greased.)
- 10To serve, cut and fry squares or fingers with sunny-side-up eggs on the side.