Alsatian Breakfast Sausage Casserole
- 12 oz. skinless link breakfast sausage, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp. corase grain or dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. chopped fresh sage or 1/2 tsp. dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- black pepper
- 4 slices rye bread, cut into 1 inch pieces, 1 oz. each
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups peeled sweet apple, such as honeycrisp, cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded gruyere, divided, 8 oz
How to Make Alsatian Breakfast Sausage Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- 2Brown sausage in saute pan over medium high heat til almost fully cooked, 5 minutes. Add onion and saute til softened, 3 minutes. Transfer sausage mixture to paper towel lined plate.
- 3Whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, sage and salt. season with pepper.
- 4Arrange bread in bottom of prepared baking dish. Top bread with apple and 1 1/2 cups cheese, then add sausage mixture. Pour egg mixture over sausage, taking care it doesn't spill over, then top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- 5Bake casserole til cheese is browned and eggs are set in the center and cooked through, about 45 minutes or to 160 degrees. Serves 8