How to Make Tonga Toast
- 1Mix the sugar and cinnamon with a fork until thoroughly blended; set aside.
- 2Slice the bread into 4 2-inch thick slices.
- 3Cut each banana in half crosswise, then cut each piece lengthwise.
- 4Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle(do not tear all the way through)to stuff half a banana into it; repeat with each slice of bread.
- 5In a large pot or a deep fryer, heat the oil to 350 degrees; use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter, or it will burn.
- 6Gently place one bread slice into the oil for one minute, or until lightly browned.
- 7Turn and fry for another minute on the other side.
- 8Remove bread from the deep fryer and toss it in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. Repeat for each piece.