LisaKay's Fresh Minneola Orange Cakes
Even my picky son loves them; they are really better the next day when the cardamom has had time to develop into the cakes.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
- fresh oranges, seeded
- 2 Tbsp
- fresh orange peel, grated
- 1 c
- freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 large
- eggs, beaten
- 1 c
- fresh butter
- 3 1/2 c
- all purpose flour; sifted
- 1 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
How to Make LisaKay's Fresh Minneola Orange Cakes
- 1Preheat oven to 400*
Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- 2Peel two oranges with a knife to get off the outside fibers. Slice crosswise and chop coarsely.
- 3Squeeze fresh oranges, removing seeds, till you have one full cup.
- 4Combine the chopped orange with the grated orange rind and the orange juice. Set aside.
- 5Scramble two large, room temperature eggs together.
- 6Combine flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. stir together.
- 7Cut butter into flour mixture till it almost disappears.
- 8Pour orange juice mixture and scrambled eggs into the flour mixture. Do NOT over mix. Dough will be VERY stiff and heavy.
- 9Fill muffin cups equally, about a tablespoon and a half per cup.
- 10Place into the preheated oven, and bake at 400*F for about 15 to 20 minutes. Do NOT overbake. Use a toothpick to check for it to come out clean when cake is done. They do not rise much, so don't be alarmed.
- 11Remove from oven and put muffins, OUT of the tins, on cooling racks. They will overbake on the bottom if you leave them in the pans.
Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- 12Serve with honey, apricot jam or they are wonderful plain as well.
These would also be wonderful with dried cranberries, golden raisins or chopped chocolate as well, but this version is diabetic friendly.