LisaKay's Fresh Minneola Orange Cakes
Even my picky son loves them; they are really better the next day when the cardamom has had time to develop into the cakes.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
2fresh oranges, seeded
2 Tbspfresh orange peel, grated
1 cfreshly squeezed orange juice
2 largeeggs, beaten
1 cfresh butter
3 1/2 call purpose flour; sifted
1 1/2 csplenda
2 tspbaking powder
2 tspbaking soda
How to Make LisaKay's Fresh Minneola Orange Cakes
- Preheat oven to 400*
Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Peel two oranges with a knife to get off the outside fibers. Slice crosswise and chop coarsely.
- Squeeze fresh oranges, removing seeds, till you have one full cup.
- Combine the chopped orange with the grated orange rind and the orange juice. Set aside.
- Scramble two large, room temperature eggs together.
- Combine flour, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. stir together.
- Cut butter into flour mixture till it almost disappears.
- Pour orange juice mixture and scrambled eggs into the flour mixture. Do NOT over mix. Dough will be VERY stiff and heavy.
- Fill muffin cups equally, about a tablespoon and a half per cup.
- Place into the preheated oven, and bake at 400*F for about 15 to 20 minutes. Do NOT overbake. Use a toothpick to check for it to come out clean when cake is done. They do not rise much, so don't be alarmed.
- Remove from oven and put muffins, OUT of the tins, on cooling racks. They will overbake on the bottom if you leave them in the pans.
Let cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with honey, apricot jam or they are wonderful plain as well.
These would also be wonderful with dried cranberries, golden raisins or chopped chocolate as well, but this version is diabetic friendly.