- 3 1/4 c
- 1/3 c
- granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1/2 tsp
- 3/4 c
- cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- blood oranges, zested ( or any orange of your choice)
- melted butter
How to Make Blood Orange Sugared Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, combine 1/3 cup sugar with about 1/2 of the grated orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until combined and fragrant.
- 2In large bowl combine flour, orange sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, and add half of the remaining orange zest. Add the juice from 1/2 of one blood orange. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
- 3Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Combine the remaining sugar and orange zest. Brush each scone with melted butter and sprinkle with orange sugar. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or use a biscuit cutter to make rounds.
- 4Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds). Top with blood orange glaze.
points per scone