BAKED GUAVA FRENCH TOAST
Jo Anne Sugimoto
1 lbloaf of french bread
1/2 cguava jam
2 Tbspbutter, room temperature
1 cbuttermilk baking mix
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1 cevaporated milk
2 tspvanilla extract
1 tsplemon extract
1/4 cpowdered sugar
·butter and syrup for garnish
How to Make BAKED GUAVA FRENCH TOAST
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch jellyroll pan. Cut the ends off of the french bread. Cut the first slice 1/2 inch thick and only 3/4 of the way down. Cut the next slice 1/2 inch thick and all the way through, it forms a sandwich. Cut the whole loaf of french bread in this manner.
- Combine the guava jam and butter, spread this mixture into the center of each sandwiched bread. Set aside.
- Combine buttermilk mix, sugar, salt and cinnamon, mix well, add eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon extracts, mix well.
- Dip the whole sandwich in the batter and place on the pan. Pour the remaining batter evenly over the bread. Make sure that the sandwiches are saturated, top. bottom and sides.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake uncovered for 20 to 22 minutes or until it is set.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with the butter and syrup. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- NOTE: YOU CAN KEEP THE ENDS OF THE LOAF OF BREAD IN A ZIP-LOCK BAG AND STORE IT IN THE
- FREEZER. WHEN YOU HAVE COLLECTED A FEW OF THEM YOU CAN GRIND IT UP TO MAKE BREAD CRUMBS.