Apple Pie Sandwich
I will admit that I was a little skeptical when I saw this in my Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001.
The first time I made them, I made them just as the recipe stated..the second time I added a small amount of cinnamon to the egg mixture. Either way they were great. I hope you will try these sandwiches just once, and see what I mean. The filling is delicious.
Photo courtesy of Taste of Home.
- 2 c
- diced peeled tart apples
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 5 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp
- lemon juice
- 12 slice
- day-old bread
- 2/3 c
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar, optional
How to Make Apple Pie Sandwich
- 1In a large saucepan, cook apples and water over medium heat for 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir into apple mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice.
- 2Spread six slices of bread with 1/3 cup filling; top with remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs, milk, vanilla and remaining sugar.
- 3Dip sandwiches in egg mixture. Cook on a lightly greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar if desired.