Spring Hill Ranch's Huevos Rancheros Especial
- 3 Tbsp
- lard (oh, canola or vegetable oil can be used if you must!)
- 1 1/2 lb
- lean shredded pork
- 3 c
- new mexico red (or green or white) chile sauce
- 1/2 c
- finely diced white or yellow onion
- 8 large
- 6-8" corn tortillas (8-10") (flour tortillas may be used, but they will get soggy)
- 4 c
- refried beans (or cooked pinto beans)
- 2 c
- 2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
- optional extras:
- papas (small cubed fried potatoes)
- shredded lettuce with diced tomatoes
- grated cheese
- salsa fresca
- crème fraîche (or sour cream)
- chopped chives or scallions
How to Make Spring Hill Ranch's Huevos Rancheros Especial
- 1To a large skillet over medium high heat, add the oil. Once heated, add the pork. Stir-fry to brown the pork on all sides, about 4 minutes. Turn the heat down to medium low.
- 2Add the chile sauce and bring it to a simmer. Allow it to simmer into the pork and begin to thicken, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and stir them in. (Option: Heat the refried beans and serve them on the side instead of in the sauce.) Add the onions and stir them in. Let the mixture slowly simmer while completing the eggs and tortillas.
- 3Gently toast the tortillas in a skillet with a few drops of oil or in an oven. Place two tortillas slightly overlapping on each plate.
- 4In a non-stick skillet, fry the eggs sunny side up until just shy of being completely cooked. Place an egg on each tortilla.
- 5Ladle about a quarter of the sauce over each egg-covered tortilla. The sauce will finish cooking the eggs. Top each with grated cheese.