- 1/2 c
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c
- chopped fresh chives or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 tsp
- fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp
- finely grated lemon peel
- 6 Tbsp
- white wine vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
- 6-12 large
- 2 bunch
- fresh rosemary
- 1 large
- red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 lb
- salmon fillet, w/skin
- 2 large
- lemons, thinly sliced
- 3 clove
- garlic, chopped
- 1/3 c
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 lb
- medium asparagus spears, trimmed
- 3 Tbsp
- olive oil
- garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
FOR CHIVE OIL:
FOR POACHED EGGS:
FOR ROSEMARY SALMON:
How to Make Poached Eggs w/Roasted Asparagus, Rosemary Salmon, and Chive Oil
- 1For chive oil- Blend olive oil, chives, lemon juice and lemon peel in blender or food processor until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Chive oil can be made 3 hours ahead of time. Cover and chill. Return to room temperature before serving.)
- 2For poached eggs- Fill two large bowls with cold water and ice; set aside.
- 3Pour enough water into each of two large skillets to reach depth of 1-in. Bring water to a slow simmer over medium heat. Add 3 tbsp vinegar to each skillet.
- 4Carefully crack each egg into individual ramekins. Gently slide one egg at a time into simmering water, working in batches of three eggs for each skillet. Cook until whites are just set, about 3 minutes.
- 5Using slotted spoon, very gently transfer eggs to bowls with ice water, being careful not to break eggs. (Eggs can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate eggs in bowls of ice water.)
- 6For rosemary salmon- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Arrange half of the rosemary sprigs in a single layer in the center of a 13x9x2-in. glass baking dish. Arrange sliced red onion on top of rosemary. Place salmon, skin side down, on top of onion. Sprinkle salmon with salt, pepper, and chopped garlic. Cover salmon with remaining rosemary sprigs. Arrange lemon slices over rosemary. Drizzle olive oil over all and sprinkle with salt. (Can be prepared 8 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- 7Roast salmon uncovered until just opaque in the center, about 20 minutes. (Roasted onion and lemon slices can be served on the side.)
- 8For asparagus- Spread asparagus in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil; turn asparagus to coat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- 9If using a gas oven, about 14 minutes before salmon is done, place asparagus under the broiler for 6 minutes, turn asparagus over and continue to broil until crisp-tender and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes longer. Divide asparagus among 6 plates. (If using an electric oven, wait until salmon is done, preheat broiler, and broil as instructed.)
- 10Remove skin from salmon fillets and place on top of asparagus.
- 11If you made poached eggs ahead, pour enough water into each of two skillets to reacha depth of 1-in; bring to a simmer. Using slotted spoon, transfer eggs to skillets; cook 1 minute for soft yolks. Using slotted spoon, place 1 or 2 eggs on top of asparagus and salmon. drizzle chive oil over and around each serving. Pass remaining chive oil separately.
- 12NOTE: This is great served as a brunch with champagne, orange juice and sliced sourdough toast.