Huevos Rancheros with Steak
Diane Hopson Smith
While the basic dish consists of fried eggs served upon lightly fried corn tortillas topped with a tomato-chili sauce, this is my take on this wonderful dish. We enjoy steak with our breakfast and when we grill, we make sure we have enough for breakfast the next morning. Most of the time it's used in an omelet. This Mexican dish was a nice, slightly spicy, change.
I used the flour tortillas.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1 c
- grilled steak, diced (i used leftover steak from the day before)
- 1 medium
- tomato, diced
- green onions, sliced thin
- 2 clove
- garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp
- jalapenos powder, can mince fresh jalapenos if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- butter, melted
- 1/2 c
- monterey jack cheese
- salsa for topping, can use store brought or homemade
- 6 to 7 inch flour tortillas, store brought or homemade
- avocado, optional
How to Make Huevos Rancheros with Steak
- 1In a small skillet over a medium heat, heat oil. Add steak and heat; add tomato, onions, garlic, cumin, jalapeno powder, salt and pepper and cook 3 to 4 minutes until good and hot. Turn heat off.
NOTE: should you opt to used Jalapeno peppers, remember to wear gloves. Slice and seed, then dice.
- 2Cook eggs sunny side up until almost done; add about 1/4 cup cheese to top of each egg. Cover and cook until cheese begins to melt.
- 3Place the tortillas on plates, spoon 1/2 of the meat mixture on each tortilla; place egg on top and spoon salsa over top of each egg. Add a slice of avocado if you like.