Ham & Asparagus Strata
- 8 oz
- asparagus spears trimmed & cut into 2 inch pieces
- 5 c
- french bread cubes
- 2 c
- shredded gruyere or white cheddar cheese
- 1/2 c
- chopped onion
- 1/4 c
- chopped chives or green onions
- 8 oz
- cooked ham, diced
- 10 large
- 1 1/2 c
How to Make Ham & Asparagus Strata
- 1Bring a large pot of salted water to boiling. Add asparagus, cook 5 mins, or until bright green. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water to cool. Drain and set aside.
- 2In a greased 3 quart baking dish, spread half of the bread cubes. top with cheese, onion, chives and half the ham and asparagus. Top with remaining bread.
- 3In a bowl whisk together 4 of the eggs and the milk. Evenly pour over layers in dish. Press down bread pieces into the egg/milk mixture with the back of a spoon. Top with remaining ham and asparagus. Cover, refrigerate until ready to bake.
- 4Bake uncovered in a 325 degree oven 30 minutes. With the back of a wooden spoon, press 6 indentations in top of the strata. Pour a whole egg into each indentations. Back 20-25 minutes more or until an instant read thermometer inserted into center of strata reads 170 degrees and the eggs are set. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- 5Cut into squares to serve. If desired, lightly drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and cracked black pepper.