Grandma's Egg in the Window
How to Make Grandma's Egg in the Window
- 1I like to start off with a prayer of thanks for this yummy food! I love praying over my family's food - I really feel that it makes a difference!
- 2You will need one piece of bread per egg you wish to cook. Preheat cast iron skillet in the oven while you butter both sides of each piece of bread. Cut a square out of the middle of bread slice. This piece will be your "window".
- 3When skillet is good and warm, place it over medium heat. As the bread is warming up and toasting in the skillet, open an egg up and fill the cut space. The yolk will look like the sun peeking in through the window. The adults in the house love a little salt and pepper sprinkled on at this point - the kids don't. That part is up to you!
- 4Flip the bread over when the bottom is cooked well enough that there will be no tearing when you flip. Cook the other side just like you would a pancake.
- 5Note: I prefer my yolk a little runny. The sliced window tastes divine when run through the yolk! My daughter, on the other hand, prefers hers more firm so that she can eat the whole thing like a sandwich. I hope you enjoy this family treasure of ours!