Emperor's Pancake! (Kaiserschmarren!
It is the favorite breakfast dish of my youth. ( I grew up in Germany)To this day it can be found on every menu in Austria and Bavaria.
I hope you will give this a try, because it is the Ultimate "Pancake"!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 t sugar
- 1 c whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c sliced almonds
- 1/4 c orange juice, apple juice, or kirschwasser see note @ bottom!
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and slice ivery thin
- powdered sugar and lemon wedges for serving
How to Make Emperor's Pancake! (Kaiserschmarren!
- 1Combine flour through eggs (first 4),Whisk well to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes. (This allows the flour to swell and bloom)
- 2Meanwhile prepare your apple. You want very thin slivers, so the apple cooks. To prevent browning toss with some lemon juice and cover with saran.
- 3Place the raisins in a small microwave safe bowl, cover with juice cover with vented saran and buzz for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- 4In a 12-inch skillet, over medium heat melt 2 T butter and 1 T vegetable oil. Pour in your pancake batter. Distribute the apples and drained raisins and almonds over the top. (fingers work best). DO NOT STIR!
- 5Cook until the top looks set. Peak underneath with a spatula. It should be golden brown.
Now take 2 forks and start to tear your pancake into small pieces,( bite size) turning them over as you go so the top side can also brown and cook. (this is why it's called A Schmarren).
- 6Remove from heat. Serve individual portions dusted with powdered sugar and juice from a wedge of lemon.
- 7NOTE: I listed Kirschwasser above, which is a brandy made from the Pits of Cherries. It is used in cooking and baking only. For dishes like Fondue and in the famous Black Forrest Cherry Torte among others.
The raisins would be plumped/soaked in this for 20 minutes or even over night. Not microwaved!!!
What is drained off prior to adding to the batter is then sprinkled over the Schmarren at serving time. This would be an Adult Version, though my mother always served it that way to all of us. There is so little liquor involved here.
BTW you can also use Rum.