- 8 slice
- sourdough bread
- 8 oz
- gruyere cheese
- 12 oz
- smoked ham, very thinly sliced
- 2-3 Tbsp
- 5 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- extra-large eggs
- salt and pepper
How to Make Croque Madame
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Butter 1 side of each bread slice.
- 3Set half of the slices of bread buttered side down in the griddle or cast iron skillet, and cover each with a slice of cheese. Place 3 or 4 slices of the ham over the cheese, and place the top slice of bread over the ham, buttered side up.
- 4Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches until bottom is golden brown and cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Remove sandwiches and place on a plate.
- 5Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on the top of each sandwich, and then place a slice of cheese on top. Put the sandwiches back onto the griddle or skillet then place in oven, cooking until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes.
- 6Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet over high heat. Cook each egg sunny side up. Turn egg over and cook 3 minutes longer for a soft-cooked egg, or 5 minutes longer for a hard-cooked egg. Repeat with remaining butter and eggs.
- 7Place 1 fried egg atop each sandwich. Season egg, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve sandwich immediately.