Baked Breakfast Egg Rolls
I decided to take this a step further and actually make a "Chinese" style breakfast egg roll.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
We love this unique recipe! If you love Asian cuisine, then this is a great breakfast recipe. It has a great balance of Asian flavors. The egg roll wrappers add a nice crunch. We dipped ours in shrimp sauce and it was delish! The Test Kitchen
2 Tbspwater or milk
1 Tbspvegetable oil
2scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
1/4 cgrated carrot
1/4 cfinely chopped mushroom (optional)
1/2 tspminced fresh ginger
1/2 tspminced garlic
1/4 tspred chili flakes
1 ccooked, finely chopped chicken or pork
1/4 choisin sauce (Oriental section of grocery)
1 ccooked brown or white rice
8 - 10egg roll wrappers (produce section of grocery)
How to Make Baked Breakfast Egg Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
In a small sauté pan, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, scramble 3 eggs with 2 tablespoons of water or milk, set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a medium sauté pan, heat oil, add scallions, carrots, mushrooms, ginger, garlic and chili pepper flakes. Saute until carrots have softened, but not brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add chicken or pork and heat for 2 – 3 minutes. Add hoisin sauce, stir well and heat for 1 – 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a cooking board with a corner pointing towards you. With a finger, wet the outer edges of wrapper. About a third of the way up wrapper, spread a small portion of the scrambled egg, the meat mixture and the rice. Pull corner closet to you, up and over the mixture, fold in the sides and continue to roll, ending with the final point facing downward on the baking sheet.
- Finish preparing all the rolls, place on baking sheet and brush each with egg wash. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
Serve with Hot Mustard Sauce or a Sweet Chili Sauce.