★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 10 slice
- 2 Tbsp
- 1/4 c
- a pinch
- salt and pepper
- 1 c
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- fresh spinach, mushrooms, or browned sausage
How to Make Bacon egg cups
- 1Preheat oven to 400*F and grease a 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick spray. Do NOT line with muffin cups. Instead,line muffin cups with bacon strips, making sure the bacon goes all the way around the muffin cups, the bacon does not have to cover the bottom, but if the strips are too long, you can cut the ends off with scissors and save them for another recipe.
- 2Beat (or whisk) 12 eggs in a mixing bowl, the same way you would for scrambled eggs. After you mixed the eggs well, add in 2 tbs. of water, and 1/4 cup of milk, salt and pepper and beat in until incorporated well. *Optional : you could add torn strips of spinach, chopped sauteed mushrooms or browned (cooled and crumbled) breakfast sausage.
- 3Fill bacon lined muffin cups two thirds of the way full, leaving room at the top for rising. Then, put in oven. Check eggs after 25 minutes, if they are firm on top, add shredded cheddar to each egg cup, about a tbs. each. Pop back in the oven for another 15 minutes. Depending on your oven, they might be done sooner than the recommended time of 45 minutes. If after 35 - 40 minutes they are still not done, let them go for an additional 5 minutes.
- 4When you check them the final time, the way you can tell they are done is if the eggs have risen a bit, the cheese is melted, and the eggs are firm. If they have a liquidy jiggle, they are NOT done. Eggs should be firm and cooked all the way through.
- 5Remove from over, let cool and stand for 5 minutes. Run a butter knife around the outside of each bacon cup and use knife to remove the cups from muffin pan. Serve and enjoy!