- 4 medium
- 4 slice
- (1/4- inch thick) canadian bacon
- egg yolks
- 1/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 1/2 c
- firm cold butter, cut into eighths
- 1/8 tsp
- 1 dash(es)
- cayenne pepper
How to Make Artichoke Benedict
- 1Prepare artichokes:
Wash artichokes under cold running water.
Pull off lower petals which are small or discolored.
Cut stems close to base (using a stainless knife to prevent discoloration).
Cut off top quarter and tips of petals, if desired.
Plunge into acidified water (1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice per quart of water) to preserve color.
- 2Brown Canadian bacon slices in skillet.
Poach eggs in boiling, salted water.
- 3Spread leaves of artichoke open like flower petals. Remove center petals and fuzzy centers from artichokes and discard.
Place bacon slices into artichoke centers, covering bottom, and top with poached eggs.
Spoon on Hollandaise Sauce and serve immediately.
- 4Hollandaise Sauce:
In small saucepan, heat together egg yolks, water and lemon juice. Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until yolk mixture bubbles at edges.
- 5Stir in butter, 1 piece at a time, until melted and sauce is thickened.
Stir in paprika and cayenne pepper; remove from heat. Serve warm.
Cover and chill if not used immediately.
Makes 3/4 cup
Always use a stainless-steel knife and a stainless-steel or glass pot. Iron or aluminum will turn artichokes an unappetizing blue or black. For the same reason, never let aluminum foil come in contact with artichokes.