Cornmeal Pancakes can be kind of dense but this recipe partners baking powder and baking soda to help give some lift to the batter. Be sure to let the batter sit for 10 minutes before cooking. The baking soda needs some time to do its stuff.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 3/4 cwhole fat buttermilk, divided
1 1/4 ccornmeal
2 Tbspunsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3/4 call-purpose flour
1 3/4 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
2 1/2 tspvegetable oil
How to Make Cornmeal Pancakes
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups buttermilk and cornmeal.
- Stir in butter, cover, and microwave for 60 to 90 seconds, stirring halfway through.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk.
- Whisk egg mixture into cornmeal mixture.
- Whisk cornmeal mixture into flour mixture.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Use a paper towel to wipe oil across skillet.
- With a 1/4 cup measure cup, scoop 3 pancakes into pan.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until bubbles from on tops.
- Flip and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer.
- Repeat with remaining oil and batter.