Baghrir, Semolina pancakes with honey butter
- 400 g
- (3 1/3 cups) fine semolina
- 7 g
- 2 tbsp dried yeast
- 1 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 Tbsp
- caster sugar
- 2 Tbsp
- plain flour
- 3 c
- lukewarm water
- vegetable oil, to brush
- fresh honeycomb (see note), to serve
- 100 g
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 90 g
- 1/3 c honey
NOTE • FRESH HONEYCOMB IS AVAILABLE FROM DELIS AND SPECIALTY FOOD SHOPS.
How to Make Baghrir, Semolina pancakes with honey butter
- 1Place dry ingredients in a food processor with 750 ml (3 cups) lukewarm water and process to a smooth batter.
Transfer to a bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 45 minutes or until batter doubles in size and surface is covered with bubbles.
Do not over-prove mixture or it will become too thick.
- 2To make honey butter, process honey and butter in a food processor until smooth.
- 3Place a frying pan (or better, use a griddle) over medium heat and, using a pastry brush, lightly grease pan with oil.
Add ½ cup batter to pan and cook for 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear on the surface, then flip and cook for a further 2 minutes or until golden on both sides.
- 4Repeat with remaining batter. Serve with honey butter and fresh honeycomb.