Strawberry Rhubarb French Toast
- 2 c
- strawberries, hulled and chopped
- small rhubarb stalks, chopped
- 1/3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- ground cloves
- one inch thick slices of french bread
- 3 large
- 3/4 c
- 2 Tbsp
- unsalted butter
- vanilla yogurt, for topping
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb French Toast
- 1Make the compote. Combine the strawberries, rhubarb, 1/3 cup sugar, the vanilla and cloves in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, until broken down and thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. You can make the compote up to 2 days ahead; cover and refrigerate.
- 2Whisk the eggs, milk and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a large baking dish. Add the french bread and soak, about 5 minutes each side.
- 3Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. (You can also use a pancake griddle.) Add the bread and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Top with the compote and drizzle with yogurt.