My "Surprise" Muffins
- 2 c
- 1/2 c
- butter flavored shortening or margarine, melted or oil-but it doesn't taste as good!
- 3 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 c
- granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- favorite preserve or jam, jelly or marmalade
How to Make My "Surprise" Muffins
- 1Recipe directs to preheat the oven to 400 degrees. My oven seems to run a little differently; so I cook mine at 355 until they are done on top, and if they look done on top, but I find they are still too soft, I lower the temperature to 320 to ensure that the tops don't over-brown, yet they cook thoroughly within the next 5-7 minutes; depending on the size of muffins being made.
- 2Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with liners (2 3/4 inches in diameter).
- 3In a separate bowl, thoroughly sift or whisk to combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 4Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the moist ingredients into the well. Stir just until combined. DO NOT OVERSTIR.
- 5Fill each muffin cup about 1/3 full. Drop a teaspoon of jam, jelly or marmalade into the center of each muffin; and then, using the remaining dough, fill the muffin cups to just a little over the top.
- 6Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until muffins are a golden brown. Immediately remove to cooling rack to finish cooling. Enjoy!!!