These muffins are great for breakfast or tea! They contain bran, and that means that you feel full for a longer period of time. They also require very little prep work. The batter should be made the night before and chilled, and then baked the next morning...or the next next morning...or the next next next morning - you get the gist. Enjoy!
1 1/4 call purpose flour
1 tspbaking soda
1/2 tspground cinnamon
1/2 ccaster sugar
1 3/4 cbran flakes
4 ozchocolate chips, chopped nuts or *sultanas
1 1/2 cmilk
1egg, lightly beaten
How to Make Bran Muffins
- *For the sultanas, if using, soak overnight in warm water just enough to cover and weigh 4oz of plumped sultanas, not dried.
- Sift flour and baking soda into a bowl. Add cinnamon, sugar and bran. Stir to mix.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the oil, milk and lightly beaten egg. Mix till just combined.
- The next morning, preheat oven to 350F. Mix in **chocolate chips/chopped nuts/plumped sultanas to the batter.
**Batter can also be divided - I usually divide into two and make half with sultanas and the other half with chocolate chips.
- Divide batter between ***24 muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes.
***Any unused batter can be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to a week.
- Serve warm with butter and jam, or just have them plain!