★★★★☆ 1 vote4
1 qtfresh or frozen okra, 3/4 inch cut
3 Tbspbacon grease or veg. oil
1/4 tspseasoned salt (or more to taste)
1/4 tspsalt (or more to taste)
1/8 tspblack pepper
How to Make Southern Fried Okra
- With a 13 inch skillet, set heat to med./hi, add bacon grease or veg. oil, add lid to skillet and wait about 3 minutes.
- Put the okra and eggs into a med. sized bowl with a tight lid. shake for a while or until the eggs have saturated the okra.
- Add the cornmeal and repeat shaking until okra mixture is well blended. dump into skillet and move okra around with a spatula to make the okra even all across the skillet in single layer.
- Add lid back to skillet and wait 3 minutes before stirring. Flip the okra as much as possible, even it out again, add lid, wait 3 more minutes.
- If neccesary, repeat this process for a third time or until the cornmeal starts to turn golden. Using a slotted spatula or spoon, dip out the okra onto a plate or bowl, lined with a double-layer of paper towels. Serve hot.