- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil, plus more if needed
- 2 tortillas, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 cup ranchero sauce, recipe follows
How to Make Migas Especiales con Hongos
- 1Heat oil in small skillet over medium high heat. Fry tortilla strips, stirring, for a few minutes til crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Add mushrooms and garlic to skillet and cook for 5 minutes, or til mushrooms are cooked through and any moisture released has evaporated. Reduce heat to medium and add a little more oil if needed to keep eggs from sticking.
- 2Pour eggs over mushrooms and cook, scraping from bottom. When they are nearly set, add tortilla strips and cheese and cook til cheese melts. Divide eggs between two plates and top each with 1/4 cup sauce. Served with warm tortillas. Serves 2
- 3Ranchero Sauce:
1 can peeled tomatoes,14.5 oz
1/2 cup (about 7 oz) water
1 medium garlic clove, minced
3 medium Serrano chiles, stems removed
Bring tomatoes and water to a boil in medium pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and chiles. Remove pan from heat and let sauce cool. Puree sauce in blender for 2 to 3 minutes or til its as smooth or chunky as you like. The sauce will keep, tightly covered in refrigerator for 1 weeks.