Huevos Rancheros with Venison Chile Sauce
The basic dish consists of fried eggs served upon lightly fried corn tortillas topped with a tomato-chili sauce. Refried beans, Mexican-style rice, slices of avocado, or guacamole are common accompaniments.
Rancheros style means served with onion and peppers in a tomato sauce.
- 1/2 lb
- ground venison
- 2 Tbsp
- chopped onion
- 1 can(s)
- 141/2 oz. of tomatoes, drained
- drops tabasco sauce or hot sauce
- 1 tsp
- 1 can(s)
- mild chili beans, drained
- 4 medium
- soft corn tortillas
- olive oil
- shredded cheese (monterey jack, cheddar, or mexican blend)
- sour cream
- avocado slices (optional)
How to Make Huevos Rancheros with Venison Chile Sauce
- 1Cook onion and venison until brown. Add can of tomatoes, Tabasco/hot sauce, and salt. Cook for another minute. Finally, add chili beans. Turn heat to low and simmer sauce for 10 minutes.
- 2While sauce is simmering, in a separate skillet heat 2 tbsp. olive oil to medium heat. Add corn tortillas one at a time, flipping after 30 seconds to cook both sides. Place two on each plate.
- 3Using the same skillet, fry eggs on one side in remaining olive oil until egg whites are mostly cooked through, but yolks are still runny. Place each egg on cooked tortillas.
- 4Layer tortillas and eggs with chili sauce (chili sauce will finish “cooking” the tops of the eggs). Garnish with cheese, sour cream and avocado slices.