Hard-boiled Eggs on Toast
The cook time given in this recipe is only an estimate. It may take you more or less time to both hard boil the eggs and to make the béchamel (white) sauce depending on how you do it and what your recipe is.
MEDIUM WHITE SAUCE
4 Tbspall-purpose flour
2 cmilk (1% or 2%)
4-8 slicebread (farmer's, wheat, white)
·butter for spreading on the toast
How to Make Hard-boiled Eggs on Toast
- The following are the prep and cook times for the eggs and the white sauce:
Hard-boiled eggs: Prep Time: 10 mins; Cook Time: 15 mins.
Medium White Sauce: Prep Time: 5 Mins; Cook Time: 20 mins.
- HARD-BOILED EGGS:
Place the eggs in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and cover them with cold water. **Make sure the tops of the eggs are covered by at least one inch of water. How much water will depend on the size of the pot, but in general, a bigger pot is better. Crowding the eggs, risks cracking them.
- Bring the water to a full boil, uncovered. **You'll see the water simmering, but as soon as you see a few big bubbles, remove the pot from the heat and cover it. Let the pot stand untouched for 15 minutes.
- Remove the boiled eggs from the water and transfer them to a bowl of cold water for 15 minutes to stop the cooking process.
- Once the eggs are cooled, peel them.
- Separate the yolks from the white and place the yolks in a separate bowl. Mash the yolks.
- Put the whites in another bowl and slice them thinly or chop them into a fine dice.
- MEDIUM WHITE SAUCE
In a 1 1/2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Stir in the flour, salt, and pepper and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually, add the milk and turn the heat up to medium.
- Stir the milk mixture constantly until it thickens and is smooth.
- MAKE THE TOAST:
Use any type of sturdy bread and toast it to your favorite "doneness."
- Butter the toast and put on a dinner-sized plate.
- PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER:
1) Once your toast is on a plate, spoon the white sauce over the toast.
2) Sprinkle on the sliced or chopped egg white.
3) Sprinkle the egg white with the mashed egg yolk.