Blue Ribbon Recipe
The combination of asparagus, red pepper and caramelized onions adds a really wonderful sweet flavor to this quiche. This would be a great seafood addition to a brunch buffet. The Test Kitchen
1blind baked pie crust
1/2 cswiss cheese
3eggs ( slightly beaten)
1 1/2 chalf and half (aprox)
2 Tbspsour cream
1 Tbspbutter or olive oil
1/2 cred pepper (finely chopped)
4green onions (it could have used more)
5 stalk(s)asparagus (chopped)
1 1/2 Tbspcarmalized onions (chopped)
1/2 tspdry mustard
How to Make Crab Quiche
- Preheat oven to 350.
- I am all about making my cooking life easier so chop all your veggies pick thru your crab meat the night before. I use real crab meat as I do not like the fake stuff but if you do feel free to use it. I make the pie dough a day or two before I need it so you can even put your pie dough in the plate cover it well for your use the next day. I also always caramelize my onions and garlic days before it will freeze really well. just hack of what you want and thaw.
- Your crust should be in the pie pan and resting in the refrigerator if you did not do this the night before this should be the first thing you do before starting this dish, blind bake it for 10 -15 min if you look at my crust recipe you will see how to blind bake a crust but you just put some parchment paper on the crust add beans or rice or pie weights careful when you remove the paper when done as it will have butter on the bottom take out and put the cheese on the bottom and let cool. I used lunch meat cheese and just chopped it up small and filled the cup as much as possible or get a hunk of cheese and grate it (this is best).
- Put the eggs in a tall measuring cup, pour in the half and half till it measures 2 cups, pour in a small bowl add sour cream, mix till just incorporated you do not want to over mix it. Put in fridge till needed.
- Chop the asparagus ( I did mine in small circles) & the red pepper sauté in a small non stick fry pan with a pad of butter or olive oil. after about 5 min add the chopped onions, pepper salt dry mustard, mix to combine set aside to cool. I add the spices here as they always stick to the milk egg mixture cup and you loose to much here it sticks to the veggies.
- To the cooled crust with cheese add veggies, add crab. Pour in the milk egg mixture, if you feel it will spill place crust on a pan your going to cook it on in oven then add mixture bake for 40 minutes with a tooth pick about two inches from the edge check to see if it comes out clean. give it a jiggle personally I cook mine a bit longer about one hour till it almost completely sets in the middle but all other recipes say two inches from the edge my way is the way I like it. I have read cook it for 30 min then turn off oven and let it stay in the oven for another 30 min with out opening the oven not even for a second don't cheat I have done it this way it did work.
- Cool for at least 15 minutes before tearing into this pie and never invite my brother over he will eat the entire pie. seriously