Benedict Eggs in Pastry
Inside these puffy golden bundles is an omelet-like filling of eggs, ham and lemony hollandaise sauce.
Brought to you from Taste of Home.
- 4 large
- egg yolks
- 4 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2 tsp
- dijon mustard
- 1 c
- butter, melted
- 2 dash(es)
- cayenne pepper
- 4 c
- cubed fully cooked ham
- green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- 12 large
- 4 Tbsp
- whole milk
- 2 pkg
- 17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large
- 2 Tbsp
- minced fresh tarragon
FOR THE EGGS
FOR THE EGG WASH
How to Make Benedict Eggs in Pastry
- 1In a double boiler over simmering water or a small heavy saucepan, constantly whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard until mixture begins to thicken and reaches 160 degrees.
- 2Reduce heat to low.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a baking sheet.
- 3Slowly drizzle in warm melted butter, whisking constantly.
- 4Whisk in cayenne. Keep warm, stirring occasionally, until ready to use.
- 5In a large skillet over medium heat, cook and stir ham and onions in butter until onions are tender.
- 6In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
- 7Add egg mixture to the pan; cook and stir until set.
- 8Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup reserved hollandaise sauce. Set aside.
- 9On a lightly floured surface, unfold puff pastry.
- 10Roll each sheet into a 12-in. x 9-1/2-in. rectangle; cut each in half widthwise.
- 11Place 1 cup egg mixture on half of each rectangle; sprinkle with cheese.
- 12Beat egg and water; brush over pastry edges.
- 13Bring an opposite corner of pastry over the egg mixture; pinch seams to seal.
- 14With a small sharp knife, cut several slits in the top.
- 15Transfer to a greased baking sheet; brush with remaining egg mixture.
- 16Bake at 400 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- 17Serve with remaining hollandaise sauce.
- 18Sprinkle with tarragon.