Sausage/Egg Casserole Surprise
Andy Anderson !
A dish like this is excellent for a casual morning. Serve in the baking dish, and let everyone scoop out their own individual portion.
The mustard powder helps to balance the flavors of the pork sausage with the eggs, so don't leave it out.
So, you ready... Let's get into the kitchen
1 lbbreakfast sausage
1 tspdry mustard
1/2 tsptable salt
2 cwhole milk
6 slicefirm white bread, or whole wheat, toasted and cut into cubes
8 ozsharp cheddar cheese, shredded
·salt, and pepper, to taste
How to Make Sausage/Egg Casserole Surprise
- Crumble the sausage, and cook over medium heat until browned. Drain the sausage on paper towels to remove any excess grease.
- Combine the mustard powder, salt, eggs, and milk in a bowl.
- Add the sausage, bread, and cheese. Then gently stir to incorporate.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish (or ceramic baking bowl) with butter, and then add the casserole mixture. Spread into an even layer.
- Let cool overnight in the fridge. Cover with some cling foil to keep the casserole from absorbing any odors from the fridge.
This step is important because it give the ingredients a chance to get to know each other.
- The following morning, preheat your oven to 350f (175c), and begin waking up your sleeping guests.
- Cover the dish with foil, and bake 45 to 60 minutes, or until the eggs are beginning to set.
- Uncover, reduce heat to 325f (165c), and then bake an additional 30 minutes, or until eggs are firmly set.
- Remove from the oven, tell your guests that breakfast is ready, and then serve immediately. Don't forget to mention to your sleepy-eyed guests that the serving dish is hot, hot, hot.