Rise and Shine Breakfast Casserole
6 - 12 slicebread (use your favorite)
1/2 - 1 lbbacon (or sausage if you prefer)
1 pkgshredded cheese
1 pkgtater tots
2 1/2 cmilk
1/2 cheavy ceam or half and half (can use 1/2 cup more milk if you dont have any)
·salt & pepper (to taste)
How to Make Rise and Shine Breakfast Casserole
- Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Tear the 6-12 slices of bread into pieces about the size of a half dollar.
- Line the bottom of the pan with the bread. Make sure the bottom of the pan is completely covered. Set Aside.
- Fully cook the bacon (or sausage) in a skillet. Remove and pat dry with a paper towel to get rid of the extra grease.
**Note: You can use as much or as little meat as you want. If you have a meat lover in the family you might want to try both bacon and sausage together in this recipe.**
- Spread the meat generously over the bread, Making sure the meat is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle 1/2 the bag of cheese on top of the bacon/bread layer. Set Aside.
- Bake Tater Tots as directed on package. Once they are crispy & golden brown, place them on top of the cheese layer. Using a fork, run over tater tots to break some open so there will be potatoes in every bite. Set aside.
- In a medium/large bowl crack 8 eggs (If making a smaller casserole you may have to use 6; or if a larger about 10+) Scramble the eggs with a fork.
- Add 2 & 1/2 cups milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream (or half and half) to the egg mixture and whisk well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
***Note: Again if you do not have these on hand or want to trim the calories just substitute for an additional 1/2 cup milk***
- Pour Egg/Milk over the casserole, paying special attention to the corners and sides as they tend to dry out if they don't have enough liquid.
- Sprinkle the other 1/2 bag of shredded cheese on the top of the casserole.
- Cover with Foil and let refrigerate over-night.
(You don't necessary have to do this step but it makes the casserole a hundred times better! Really easy to make it the night before hand and just pop it in the oven in the morning!)
- Remove from refrigerator. Remove tin foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven. Let cool for about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy! :)
**NOTE: You can always put the foil back over the dish to prevent premature browning/burning**