Meredith's Strata "A Morton Family Tradition"
- 8 slice
- white bread
- 8 oz
- sliced mozzarella
- sliced tomatoes (large)
- 13 oz
- sliced mushrooms from a can (you can saute fresh ones, i used a can!)
- 1 medium
- onion - sliced thin
- 5 large
- 3 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- oregano, dried
- 1 pinch
- garlic salt (i used regular garlic powder and it was a little more then a pinch)
- 1/2 c
- parmesan cheese (again i fudged this and added extra...)
- 1 can(s)
- sliced black olives
How to Make Meredith's Strata "A Morton Family Tradition"
- 1Using a cookie cutter, donut cutter, or jar lid, cut bread slices into shapes or circles. Place bread scraps in the bottom of a buttered 13 x9 bakin dish.
- 2Layer half of the cheese over the bread, then half the tomatoes, all of the onions, and all of the mushrooms over the cheese.
- 3Cover with the rest of the cheese. then place the bread shapes with a tomatoe in themiddle of each center on the cheese.
- 4Combine the eggs, milk, salt, oragano, and garlic by whisking. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dot with olives. Cover.
- 5Refrigerate for six hours or over night. It is easy to make this the night before and then pull it out in the moring to bake.
- 6Bake for 1 - 1.5 hours (I like my eggs cooked so I went on the longer side) in a 325 degree oven, or until a knife comes out clean. Let stand for five minutes to firm (so it isn't oozy - i think that is a new word) then serve.