Meredith's Strata "A Morton Family Tradition"
8 slicewhite bread
8 ozsliced mozzarella
2sliced tomatoes (large)
13 ozsliced mushrooms from a can (you can saute fresh ones, i used a can!)
1 mediumonion - sliced thin
1 tsporegano, dried
1 pinchgarlic salt (i used regular garlic powder and it was a little more then a pinch)
1/2 cparmesan cheese (again i fudged this and added extra...)
1 can(s)sliced black olives
How to Make Meredith's Strata "A Morton Family Tradition"
- Using a cookie cutter, donut cutter, or jar lid, cut bread slices into shapes or circles. Place bread scraps in the bottom of a buttered 13 x9 bakin dish.
- Layer half of the cheese over the bread, then half the tomatoes, all of the onions, and all of the mushrooms over the cheese.
- Cover with the rest of the cheese. then place the bread shapes with a tomatoe in themiddle of each center on the cheese.
- Combine the eggs, milk, salt, oragano, and garlic by whisking. Pour over the bread. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and dot with olives. Cover.
- Refrigerate for six hours or over night. It is easy to make this the night before and then pull it out in the moring to bake.
- Bake for 1 - 1.5 hours (I like my eggs cooked so I went on the longer side) in a 325 degree oven, or until a knife comes out clean. Let stand for five minutes to firm (so it isn't oozy - i think that is a new word) then serve.