Maple Sausage Apple Breakfast Casserole
Best breakfast casserole by far. I have been asked to make this for many potlucks and many dinners served at my home. It's not just for breakfast anymore. If you love sweet and savory, you'll love this recipe.
Recipe from Jimmy Dean.
- 2 large
- golden delicious apples, peeled, chopped
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 3 c
- 1 tsp
- 8 c
- french bread cubes (¾-inch pieces)
- 1 or 2 pkg
- jimmy dean maple flavor pork sausage roll, cooked, crumbled and drained
- 2 c
- shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- warm maple syrup, optional
- ********about the 1 or 2 packages of sausage. the recipe calls for 1 but i use 2 because i like a lot of meat in the casserole. some breakfast casseroles tend to be custard like because of the bread and using more meat helps with that.********
How to Make Maple Sausage Apple Breakfast Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 325°F. Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- 2Beat eggs, milk and vanilla in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add bread cubes, sausage, apple mixture and 1-½ cups cheese; stir gently until evenly coated.
- 3Spoon into lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish; top with remaining ½ cup cheese.
- 4Bake 40-45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting into 12 squares to serve. ***Some serve with warm maple syrup, but I think it's over kill on the sweetness scale.***
- 5***Cook’s Tips: Make-Ahead Maple Breakfast Casserole: Assemble casserole as directed. Refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, uncover and bake 50-55 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.***