Joanna's Vegetarian Cornbread Casserole
Blue Ribbon Recipe
Yes, even a meat lover would enjoy this recipe! The sweetness of the corn and the cornbread really made this delicious. A nice hearty (but not heavy) breakfast to start your day. The Test Kitchen
- bag mornigstar brand crumbles (freezer section by meatless burgers and such) it is a vegetable meat substitute
- 1 tsp
- emeril's essesence seasoning
- 1 small
- onion, chopped
- 1/3 c
- baby bella mushrooms (1/3 cup after chopping)
- 1/3 c
- broccoli, chopped (i use pre-cut flowerettes in a bag)
- 1/4 c
- bell pepper, orange, yellow or red, chopped
- 1 1/2 c
- cornmeal mix (1 box jiffy cornbread mix)
- eggs, beaten
- 1 can(s)
- (8 oz) cream style corn (or 1/2 of a 15 oz. can)
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1 c
- mexican 4 cheese blend, shredded (kraft)
- 1/2 c
- milk (whole vitamin d milk)
- 1 Tbsp
How to Make Joanna's Vegetarian Cornbread Casserole
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees
Grease a 9x13 baking dish or for a thicker casserole use a 2 quart high side casserole dish.
- 2Cook broccoli in the microwave in 1 tbsp. of water, cover and cook for 2 minutes and 45 sec. Remove from microwave, uncover, rinse quickly with cold water to stop the cooking process and allow to drain well.
- 3Cook Crumbles in the microwave for 2 minutes, stir sprinkle with 1 tsp. of Emeril's Essence seasoning and cook for another 2 minutes or until heated through. Set aside.
- 4Brown onions and mushrooms in 1 Tbsp butter. Add the broccoli pieces and toss to mix all together. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 5Mix cornbread mix, sour cream, eggs, milk, cream style corn and 1/4 bell pepper together in a bowl. Pour half of the mix in to the 9x13 baking dish or 2 quart casserole dish.
- 6Top the cornbread with the morningstar crumbles, onion, mushroom and broccoli mix.
- 7Cover the crumbles with the cheese and top with the remaining cornbread mix.
- 8Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.