Grandma's Apple Kuchen
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 pkgactive dry yeast
1/2 cwater, warm
4 call purpose flour
1 1/2 tspkosher salt
6 Tbspcanola oil
2 largegala apples, not peeled, cored and chunked
1/2 tspcinnamon, ground
·honey to drizzle
How to Make Grandma's Apple Kuchen
- In a stand mixer, mix the warm water, honey, and yeast until the honey is dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 10-15 minutes until slightly frothy.
- Mix in flour, eggs, salt, and canola oil until just combined. Switch to a dough hook attachment and knead until the dough comes together. Ball up the dough on the bottom of the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit for 2 hours. Dough will rise to double in size and get a little poofy.
- Place a 9-inch spring-form pan on a cookie sheet and coat with cooking spray.
Mix cut up apples with cinnamon and sugar (I used more cinnamon than the original recipe because I love it).
- Transfer dough to a greased surface and flatten in a rectangle (about 8x10 inches). Place half the apples down the center of the dough (long-ways) and fold over half the dough. Then, place the other half of the apples on the folded part and fold over the other side. With a knife or pizza cutter (I thought the pizza cutter was easier) slice the dough down the middle long-ways and then slice about 8 times on the sides. The apples will fall out, don't worry about it.
- Place the dough pieces on the bottom of the spring-form pan so that they are all smashed together. Place any of the fallen apples on the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325-degrees. Brush the top of the bread with an egg wash (1 egg and a tbsp of water) and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Mine took 60. Serve warm and drizzeled with honey if you want!