Gram Herring's Breakfast Hash
Sunday mornings we would have a big breakfast. then around 5 we would a big dinner.
I've made this several times, I've seen similar recipes, and have tried them all. But i think there is something special about the love a grandmother puts into her cooking.
2 mediumcarrots, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 mediumzucchini, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 mediumsweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 lbground bulk maple flavored sausage
2 Tbspolive oil
1 Tbspdried sage
1/4 tspcayenne, more depending on your taste
·freshly ground pepper to taste
·kosher salt to taste
8 largeeggs, room temperature
1-1/2 cshredded cheddar cheese
1 mediumsweet onion, chopped
How to Make Gram Herring's Breakfast Hash
- First Position the rack so that it is approximately 6 inches above the broiler on high.
- Brown the ground sausage then add the chopped onions. remove from pan. Set aside the skillet & the grease from the sausage.
- Combine the Carrots, Zucchini & Sweet potato. Then In a food processor, pulse the veggies until chopped. My grandmother used to do this in a few batches. However, I find it relaxing do this by hand. just give me a sharp knife and i will sit at the table, quietly chopping and dicing by hand. For me I find this relaxing.
- Preferably in a cast iron skillet - Heat the olive oil and the reserved drippings from the browned sausage and butter until melted. Add the chopped veggies & and stir in the sage. stirring often, cook until veggies are tender. Remove from heat and season cayenne and 1-1/2 teaspoons of kosher salt.
- Spread the browned sausage over the top of veggies. Then over the sausage, crack the eggs over it leaving some space between the eggs. Sprinkle some ground pepper over each egg, then cover the eggs with the cheese, Broil 8 to 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cool about 5 minutes before serving.