Easy Cheesy Zucchini Squares
I found this recipe printed in our local newspaper that sited the source as "The New Southern Garden Cookbook..."
- 3 c
- grated zucchini, peeled and seeded if needed ( i leave some peeling on for color)
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 3 large
- 1/2 c
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp
- high quality lemon pepper
- 2 tsp
- chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
- 1 c
- finely chopped onion
- 2 c
- grated sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Easy Cheesy Zucchini Squares
- 1Preheat oven 350 degrees. Mist the inside of a 7x11 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Stir together the zucchini and salt in a colander and let drain 15 minutes. Press out the liquid; let drain another 15 minutes. Pick up small handfuls of zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible; transfer to a small bowl.
- 3Whisk together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until blended, then whisk in the oil, lemon pepper and thyme. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well.
- 5Use a rubber spatula to fold in the zucchini, onion and cheese. The batter will be very stiff. Scrape it into the prepared baking dish and press evenly into the corners.
- 6Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
- 7I have reheated the leftovers the next day and it was just as good maybe even better!