Easy Cheesy Zucchini Squares
I found this recipe printed in our local newspaper that sited the source as "The New Southern Garden Cookbook..."
3 cgrated zucchini, peeled and seeded if needed ( i leave some peeling on for color)
2 tspkosher salt
1 1/2 call purpose flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
1/2 cvegetable oil
1 tsphigh quality lemon pepper
2 tspchopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dry
1 cfinely chopped onion
2 cgrated sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Easy Cheesy Zucchini Squares
- Preheat oven 350 degrees. Mist the inside of a 7x11 glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Stir together the zucchini and salt in a colander and let drain 15 minutes. Press out the liquid; let drain another 15 minutes. Pick up small handfuls of zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as possible; transfer to a small bowl.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until blended, then whisk in the oil, lemon pepper and thyme. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and mix well.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the zucchini, onion and cheese. The batter will be very stiff. Scrape it into the prepared baking dish and press evenly into the corners.
- Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 minutes.
Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
- I have reheated the leftovers the next day and it was just as good maybe even better!