Comforting Southern Biscuits And Gravy Casserole
I have seen recipes that use a mix - but why not make the gravy yourself! It's easy peasy to make and once you do, you'll never look back.
This is definitely a crowd pleasing casserole. I sometimes make it for dinner. Then breakfast is ready in the morning - that is if there is any left.
I hope you give this one a try.
1 lbbreakfast sausage - i prefer hot but mild works just as well
1/2 mediumonion, finely diced
1poblano pepper, finely diced - you can substitute bell pepper
·drippings from cooked sausage and additional vegetable oil to equal 4 tablespoons
4 Tbspall purpose flour
2 cwhole milk, i wouldn't recommend skim for this recipe
·salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbspmelted butter
1/4 tspsalt and pepper
OTHER CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 csharp cheddar cheese
2 can(s)refrigerated butermilk biscuits 7.5 oz each
How to Make Comforting Southern Biscuits And Gravy Casserole
- In a skillet brown sausage, onion, and poblano pepper until all are thoroughly cooked. Remove sausage and veggies and set aside.
- Add additional oil if needed to sausage drippings. Add flour and cook on medium high for 5 - 7 minutes. Stirring with a whisk constantly.
- Add milk, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until mixture begins to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl combine, eggs, milk, butter, salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
- Turn oven to 350 degrees.
In a 9 X 13 baking dish (greased or spray with cooking spray) add biscuits.
- Top with sausage mixture.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over cheese.
- Finally, pour gravy over egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and allow to set for 5 minutes.
Note sometimes I like to dice a fresh jalapeno and cook with the flour/butter mixture to make jalapeno gravy.
I hope y'all enjoy!