Christmas Breakfast Casserole
1/2 lbsliced smoked ham, cut in 1/2 julienne slices
1/2 lbswiss cheese (i prefer baby swiss or swiss lorraine), shredded
12eggs, at room temperature
1 qtmilk or half and half
·salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Christmas Breakfast Casserole
- Cut bacon into 1" pieces, separate and fry slowly in large skillet until crisp. While cooking bacon, trim ends and all but 3 inches of green part of leeks. Slice the white and remaining green parts in 1/4 inch slices and soak in cold water to clean. Rinse, drain, and pat dry the cleaned leeks.
- When bacon is crisp, remove to drain and discard all except a couple of tablespoons of the drippings. Add the drained leeks to the bacon drippings and saute until very soft but still green. Remove from heat to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs, milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper until thoroughly blended.
- Add the bacon, ham, shredded swiss, to the leeks. Mix in the milk/egg mixture and pour all into a 3 quart buttered casserole (I prefer a deeper round one but doesn't have to be).
- Bake at 350 for 45 min to an hour, depending on the depth of your dish. Allow to "rest" for a few minutes before cutting.