- 1 lb
- bacon, drippings reserved
- 1 lb
- chorizo sausage, drippings reserved
- eggs, beaten with milk
- 1 Tbsp
- italian seasoning
- 1-2 tsp
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 c
- shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8oz) pkg
- cheddar cheese, sliced into 1/4
- 2-3 c
- 2 Tbsp
- 4 c
- 8 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 4 Tbsp
- butter, cold and sliced into 8 pcs
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 c
- cold buttermilk
How to Make Breakfast Pizza
- 1Preheat oven to 350.
- 2Cut each strip of bacon into 1 ½ inch pieces and place in medium saucepan. Place saucepan over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until bacon pieces are crispy. Strain drippings into large 12- or 14-inch skillet. Set bacon aside and skillet back on burner.
- 3Crumble sausage into bacon drippings and cook until browned, stirring occasionally to break larger pieces of sausage up. Strain sausage out, saving drippings in skillet and keep warm over low heat.
- 4FOR THE CRUST: In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together. Using your fingertips rub butter and shortening into dry ingredients until mixture looks like crumbs. (The faster you do this step, the better; you don’t want the fats to melt.) Make a well in the center and pour in the chilled buttermilk. Stir just until the dough comes together. The dough will be very sticky.
- 5Turn dough onto floured surface, dust top with flour and gently fold dough over on itself 5 or 6 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough out to about 16x12 and carefully lay onto a 15x11 UNGREASED cookie sheet. Lay the strips of cheddar cheese around the edge, leaving about 1 inch of dough around perimeter. You’ll need approximately 3 across each short end and 4 evenly spaced down the longer edges. Fold dough over cheese strips and press down gently to seal.
- 6Bake at 350 for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and puncture any bubbles that have formed. Using rolling pin, press dough flat to create a solid crust base.
- 7FOR THE GRAVY: In large skillet, whisk in 2-4 tbsp flour until smooth. Slowly stir in milk, ¼ cup to a ½ cup at a time, allowing gravy to thicken after each portion is added. Add enough milk to make approximately 3 cups of gravy. Turn heat down and simmer until ready to use.
- 8Crack 15 eggs into medium mixing bowl and whisk with ¾ cup milk until well-combined. Season with 1-2 tsp salt and pepper and 1 tbsp Italian seasoning.
- 9While gravy is simmering over medium-low heat, scramble eggs in large skillet until just cooked. DO NOT BROWN. Turn off heat and begin assembly of pizza.
- 10TO ASSEMBLE AND FINISH: Pour gravy onto pre-baked crust, creating a ½ inch thick layer. Spread scrambled eggs over gravy, making an evenly thick layer. Sprinkle with ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese. Crumble bacon into slightly smaller pieces over cheese, followed with sausage. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
- 11Bake for 10 minutes to cook all layers together and melt the cheese.
- 12Allow to rest for 5-7 minutes, then slice as desired. Can create up to 16 pieces.