3 cmilk (i use whole but 2% is fine also)
2 csharp cheddar cheese (8 oz bag)
1 can(s)fire roasted green chilies undrained
1 tspsalt or to taste
1 lbpork sausage (i use hot but use what you like)
2 Tbspfresh cilantro or 1 tbs dried leaves
12large eggs beaten
·cheese sauce recipe from above
8 - 108 inch flour tortillas
1 cpepper jack cheese shredded or what you like
1 smallsliced tomato (i like to use cherry or grape cut into quaters) optional
4green onions diced (optional)
·fresh cilantro or sprinkle dry leaves if you like (optional)
How to Make Breakfast Enchiladas
- CHEESE SAUCE: Start with making your cheese sauce first
- Melt 1/3 butter in heavy pan
- Add 1/3 cups flour and whisk on medium low heat for 3 - 4 minutes (this takes the raw flour taste out)
- Slowly add 3 cups of milk and whisk well to combine
- Let cook on medium low heat until thick and creamy
- Slowly stir in 2 cups of shredded cheese. Stir until all is melted and creamy.
- Add 1 can undrained fire roasted (or regular) Green Chilies and fold together.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes on low stirring a few times and remove from heat.
- Brown sausage. Cook until no longer pink. Drain grease and rinse sausage to remove any left in grease. Remove to a plate or bowl.
- In same pan melt 2 tbs of butter and cook green onions and cilantro for 5 minutes on medium low heat. After 5 minutes reduce heat to low.
- In a large bowl beat 1 dozen (12) eggs together well. Add salt and pepper and mix together.
- To egg mixture add 1 cup of cheese sauce but do not stir.
Add sausage to pan.
Add 1 more cup of cheese sauce and fold eggs and sausage together gently.
- Open and microwave heat flour tortillas for 35 seconds to soften them.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degree.
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish or larger by spreading about 1/2 cup of the cheese sauce in the bottom
- Place roughly 1/3 cup egg and sausage mixture down center or tortilla (I add about 2 tbs of extra cheddar cheese to my tortilla before I roll it up) Fold side closet to you over mixture and roll tortilla. Place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat until all filling is used or you run out of tortillas (I often get 12 of them)
- Pour remaining cheese sauce over enchiladas spreading it evenly over them. Top with shredded pepper jack cheese or cheese of your choice.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until cheese sauce is bubbly. Remove to wire wrack and let cool for 15 or more minutes.
- Top with toppings and serve. I like to serve with taco sauce or with salsa and sour cream.
- I hope you enjoy these as much as me and my family do :)