I always make this Christmas morning and set up a buffet with the casserole, some fruit, a pot of coffee and pitcher of juice for a great 'help yourself' breakfast everyone can enjoy as we open gifts.
- loaf of bread (french, sourdough, or store bought white all work well)
- onion, diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 c
- bell pepper, diced
- 6 large
- 1 - 2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- sour cream
- 1/2 tsp
- packet of splenda
- salt and pepper to taste
- small amount of half and half or milk
- cinnamon (optional)
- pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- grated cheese (optional)
- cubed ham, cooked sausage, crumbled bacon, etc (optional)
How to Make Breakfast Casserole
- 1Cube the bread and spread out in a buttered glass baking pan. (I use a 13X9 inch)
- 2Saute the onion and bell pepper in a small amount of butter until soft (do not brown.) Let cool.
- 3In a mixing bowl, combine the eggs, mustard, sour cream, vanilla, splenda, cinnamon and nutmeg, whisking until thick and well mixed. It should have the consistency and smoothness of a silky custard mix. Add a small amount of cream, half and half, or milk if you think it's too thick.
- 4Whisk in the cooled onion and bell pepper, then pour over the bread cubes, making sure to cover all the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or at least an hour.)
- 5Bake at 325 degrees F until set, about 1 to 1-1/2 hrs. Let sit for several minutes before cutting.
- 6This casserole can be new and different each time you make it, just change up the optional ingredients a bit. Sometimes I omit the onion and bell pepper but use the cinnamon and nutmeg, another time I might add cubed ham and omit the cinnamon, sometimes I add grated cheddar or swiss, the possibilities are endless.