- 1 tbsp. butter, plus extra for the bowls
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 russet potatoes, peel on, baked and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 8 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage, browned and crumbled
- 4 strips thick cut bacon, fried and crumbled
- 1 cup grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Breakfast Bowls
- 1Butter 8 ovenproof bowls or ramekins. Preheat oven to 325.
In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, til onion is soft, about 5 minutes Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2In a bowl, lightly beat the eggs and half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, mix the tomatoes, green onions, and basil. Stir together and set aside.
To assemble, divide all ingredients evenly among oven safe bowls or ramekins in the following order:
- 3Potatoes onion mixture, sausage, Bacon, Monterey Jack, Egg mixture, tomato/green onion/basil mixture and finally a sprinkling of grated cheddar.
Put the bowls on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes til the eggs are just set. Keep an eye on the bowls to make sure the eggs don’t brown. It’s better for the eggs to come out of the oven slightly runny, as they’ll continue to set after they’re removed from the oven.
Serve in a basket with pretty napkins and eight spoons.