Blueberry & Lemon French Toast Casserole
Scrumptious overnight French toast casserole with a custardy, blueberry filling. Made with cream cheese and lemon for additional creaminess and brightness.
- butter, for greasing
- 6 large
- 1 1/2 c
- whole milk
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 4 oz
- cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 c
- granulated sugar
- 2 tsp
- lemon zest, grated
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt
- 16 oz
- loaf challah bread, torm or cut into 1 1/2 inch chuncks or any egg-y bread
- 2 1/2 c
- powdered sugar, for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
How to Make Blueberry & Lemon French Toast Casserole
- 1Butter a 9" x 13" baking dish.
- 2In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla and salt. The batter will be slightly lumpy from the cream cheese.
- 3Add bread to the buttered baking dish and pour egg mixture over the top. Press the bread top to make sure it is fully absorbing the liquid. Sir in blueberries. Cover with foil. Refrigerate at least two hours or overnight.
- 4Remove casserole from the fridge and sit at room temperature for 25 minutes before baking. Heat over to 350 degrees F.
- 5Bake, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 20 minutes more. Serve sprinkled with powered sugar and with lots of maple syrup.