Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole
A French toast casserole inspired by the Big Easy with bananas, brown sugar, cinnamon and hint of rum! So easy and so creamy cheesy this breakfast casserole is sure to be everyone's favorite. I like to serve it with extra bananas and lots of warm maple syrup for maximum enjoyment.
It's perfectly fine to use bread that is on its way to being stale. The dry bread will soak up the mile and eggs easier.
- 6 Tbsp
- butter, cut into pats, plus more for greasing
- 3 large
- ripe bananas, sliced, plus more for serving
- 1/3 c
- light brown sugar packed
- 1 Tbsp
- dark rum (optional)
- 6 oz
- cream cheese, cut into pats at room temperature
- 16 oz
- loaf italian bread, sliced & torn itno bite sized pieces
- 2 1/2 c
- whole milk
- 1/2 c
- heavy cream
- 6 large
- 1/3 c
- light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- maple syrup, for serving
How to Make Bananas Foster French Toast Casserole
- 1Butter a 9" x 13" casserole dish.
- 2Melt butter in a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Once foaming , add bananas and sauté until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the 1/3 cup brown sugar and stir until it melts with the butter. Carefully add the rum and let cook for one more minute, until the mixture is thick and syrupy. Remove from heat and cool.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, eggs, 1/3 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla until smooth.
- 4Add half of the bread to the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with half of the cream cheese and half of the brown sugar sauce. top with remaining bread and repeat with sauce and cream cheese. Pour the milk and egg mixture over the top and press down lightly to make sure the bread is absorbing the liquid. Cover tightly with foil, then place in the refrigerator for at least two hours or (preferably) overnight.
- 5Remove casserole from the refrigerator. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake casserole for 30 minutes, then remove foil and continue to bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- 6Serve topped with powdered sugar, sliced bananas and maple syrup.