Banana Split French Toast
Vicki Butts (lazyme)
This won the first prize by Debbi Bracker, Carl Junction, MO in a contest by the cherrymkt.org.
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
10 ozmaraschino cherries
1 lbfrench bread
8 ozcream cheese, softened
1/4 cgranulated sugar
1 tspvanilla extract
8 ozcrushed pineapple, drained
1/3 cminiature semisweet chocolate chips
4 smallripe bananas, halved lengthwise
2 cfrozen whipped topping (about 2/3 of an 8-oz container), thawed
1/4 cchopped pecans
·maple syrup, warmed
How to Make Banana Split French Toast
- Cut 4 maraschino cherries in half; set aside for garnish. Chop remaining cherries.
- Cut off and discard ends of bread loaf. Slice remaining loaf into 16 (1/2-inch to 3/4-inch) slices.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl; beat with an electric mixer at medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until creamy.
- By hand, stir in pineapple, chocolate chips and chopped cherries; mix well.
- Spray a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine eggs and milk in a shallow bowl or pie plate. Dip one side of 1 bread slice into egg mixture. Place on baking pan, dipped side down.
- Gently spread with 1/8 of cream cheese mixture; top with a banana half. Repeat with 7 more slices.
- Dip one side of each of the remaining 8 bread slices in egg mixture. Place, dipped side up, on top of banana.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 35 to 40 minutes, or until tops are light golden brown and centers are set.
- To serve, top each serving with 1/4 cup whipped topping, 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped pecans and 1 reserved cherry half. Serve with maple syrup.