Bacon Cheese Grits
- 8 slice
- bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, reserve drippings
- 2 c
- whole milk
- 2 c
- chicken broth or stock
- 1 c
- 1/2 tsp
- kosher salt, plus additional as needed
- 1/4 c
- heavy cream
- 1 1/2 c
- grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces), divided
- green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Bacon Cheese Grits
- 1Place the milk and chicken stock in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Add the grits, whisking in until smooth.
- 4Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the grits have thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 5Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until the grits are soft and creamy, about 25 minutes.
- 6Stir in the cream and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- 7Remove from the heat and add the reserved bacon drippings, cooked bacon, 1 cup of the cheese and two-thirds of the green onions; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8Preheat the broiler.
- 9Spread the grits in a casserole dish.
- 10Scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
- 11Place under the broiler just until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 12Garnish with the remaining green onions and serve immediately.