Bacon Cheese Grits
8 slicebacon, cooked crisp and crumbled, reserve drippings
2 cwhole milk
2 cchicken broth or stock
1/2 tspkosher salt, plus additional as needed
1/4 cheavy cream
1 1/2 cgrated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces), divided
3green onions, green parts only, thinly sliced, divided
·salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How to Make Bacon Cheese Grits
- Place the milk and chicken stock in a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the grits, whisking in until smooth.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until the grits have thickened, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until the grits are soft and creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat and add the reserved bacon drippings, cooked bacon, 1 cup of the cheese and two-thirds of the green onions; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Spread the grits in a casserole dish.
- Scatter the remaining cheese over the top.
- Place under the broiler just until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with the remaining green onions and serve immediately.