Southwestern Quiche with Chorizo
- 1 pkg
- rolled pie crust
- 6 large
- 1/2 c
- each, bell pepper & onion (diced)
- 1 c
- half and half
- 1/2 lb
- chorizo (mexican sausage, mild or medium -diced)
- 1 oz
- jalapeno (seeded and diced)
- 1/3 c
- queso fresco
- 1 c
- shredded sharp cheddar
- 1/2 c
- green onion
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic
How to Make Southwestern Quiche with Chorizo
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees. On a floured work surface, roll out the chilled pie dough. Turn the pie crust dough about a quarter turn after every few rolls until you have a circle 12 inches in diameter. Carefully place the dough into a 9-inch pie dish. Tuck it in with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. With a small and sharp knife, trim the extra overhang of crust and discard. Pre-bake the pie crust for 8 minutes. Pull out to cool.
- 2While the pie crust is pre-baking, whisk together the eggs, milk, and cheeses (only a 1/4 cup of Cheddar) until combined. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- 3Place Jalapeno, bell pepper, & onion in a skillet coated with 1 teaspoon olive oil or nonstick spray, add the garlic, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Turn the heat on to medium-high and sauté the veggies until they release all of their moisture and no more water remains on the bottom of the skillet, about 5 minutes. Add Chorizo and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- 4Take the pie crust and Add the cooked veggie and sausage mixture. Pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle the top lightly with more the rest of the cheddar cheese.
- 5Bake the quiche until it is golden brown on top and the center is no longer jiggly. Depending on your oven, this will take anywhere between 45 minutes - 1 hour. Mine took 50 minutes. Use a pie shield to prevent the pie crust from over browning, if desired. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing and serving. This quiche makes great leftovers! Store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Baked quiche freezes very well, up to 2 months.
- 6Note** You can garnish with Sour Cream, Salsa & green onion.