Sausage Crust Pie with Green Chilies
- preheat oven to 375
- 9" pie dish or an 8 x 8 square pan
- medium sized bowl to whisk eggs
- tube of sausage i used jimmy deans hot sausage, less grease
- eggs whisked
- box thawed chopped spinach squeezed dry
- 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- cup of cubed cheese, i used havarti but sharp cheddar or pepper jack would taste great too!
- tsp salt
- tsp pepper
TOOLS FOR THE JOB!
How to Make Sausage Crust Pie with Green Chilies
- 1Use the sausage as a crust, press it into the pie dish up the sides try to keep it uniform in thickness.
- 2Whisk eggs add salt and pepper
- 3Squeeze spinach dry then place in the bottom of the pie pan
- 4Add green chilies spreading gently so to keep spinach in place
- 5Gently pour eggs over spinach/chilies mixture
- 6Gently place cheese around pie more towards the outside it tends to melt into the middle.
- 7Bake for 45 to 55 minutes depending on your oven I found it was easier to put on a sheet pan to move around.
- 8When the middle is just about set it is ready to take out of the oven, let it cool for 10 minutes before cutting. I use a serrated knife. The crust was right at the stage of very firm and held up well.
- 9Will make this again and photo the steps!
- 10Alternative ideas: Jalapenos pickled are usually the best about one whole or 10 sliced then diced, 1/3 cup of onion maybe saute it first, 9 eggs alone, 1/2 cup Canadian bacon or 1/2 crispy bacon use your imagination.